The aim here is change your mindset from one of lack of time to one of abundance – ‘ I choose to use my time to do this’
- Make a note of the different areas in your life which you feel need to give attention to.
- Look at the list and put a big heart next to those areas which you love spending time doing.
- For the moment put to one side those areas that you do out of obligation.
- Make a note of the activities that you do each day – for example each morning I do some yoga for 20 minutes and that is followed by 20 minutes of meditation. Then I will do 20 minutes (ish) of watching YouTube videos on something I wish to know more about while I eat my breakfast
- Set a timer for how long you will be on the phone or social media, which is one of the biggest time stealers that there is.
- Make an honest appraisal of how much tv you watch everyday that is for ‘entertainment purposes’ this includes the news.
- Make a note of how much time you spend catering to others needs. This includes, running errands, volunteering on committees, doing housework and making meals. Giving advice and helping sort out problems. Is helping others dominating your time?
- Make a note of when you are most productive in the day
- Group similar tasks together and designate a set time to do them in one chunk rather than in dribs and drabs throughout the week.
- Make a list of errands that need to be run or appointments and try to group them together so you do one trip rather than several.
- Decide how you would love to spend your time.
- Experiment with blocking out time to do the things you love. I get up at 5am to work on my business before I go off to my regular job, as this is the time that I am at my most productive and the least likely to be disturbed or have appointments scheduled.
If like me you had a to-do list that was longer at the end of the day than it was at the beginning you will love the book ‘To-Do List Formula: A Stress-Free Guide To Creating To-Do Lists That Work’by Damon Zahariades who has some great productivity tools. You can buy his book from Amazon at: https://coachingtoconfidence.com/Lists