In this week’s ‘List for Living’ I am going to be asking you to Change Your Story. I am writing this post on New Years Eve and I cannot think of a better way to begin a New Year than by starting it off by acknowledging what a wonderful person you are. So here is the list which will take us into a New Year:
- Begin to notice the story that you tell about yourself. By this I mean what beliefs do you hold about yourself, that you project onto the world? These beliefs may take a while to become aware of, as they rise from your subconscious mind to your conscious mind.
- Clarify the story that you are currently projecting about yourself. Is it a positive message that you are projecting onto the world and the people you surround yourself with? If it is and you feel good about your self image great!
- If you don’t like the image that you portray, it is time to change it for a new one!
- Take a sheet of paper and make a list of the beliefs that make up your current story. On the other side of the sheet, start to look at how you can alter these current beliefs to reflect the new image that you wish to project. So for example, a couple of years after I got divorced, the belief that I projected on the world was that of a single mother, relying on benefits, to bring up 4 children. I had a victim mentality in which I wanted people to feel sorry for what had happened to me. I suddenly realized however that this image no longer served me. I wanted to see myself in a more positive light. First I had to take responsibility for where I was right now and praise myself for my achievements so far. Now my story gradually became that of a woman who was working hard to give her children and herself a better life. Because my image of myself started to change, so did the way people treated me.
- The way that the world treats you, is a reflection of the way you treat yourself. Ask yourself if you are treated as you would wish to be and if not, how can you treat yourself better? A male friend of mine recently told me that in a relationship a woman deserves to be cherished. This belief had never occurred to me until this point, but now I have incorporated it into my belief system and it starts first with cherishing myself. Any man who comes along in the future and wishes to have a relationship with me, will take his cue on how to treat me by noticing what story about myself, I project onto the world.
- So what story do you want to tell about yourself? Think of when you are at your most wonderful and start from there. Spend some time feeling what it is like to be that person and think how that person thinks and acts. Soon it will become second nature to live the story that you are creating for yourself.