The aim here is change your mindset from one of lack of time to one of abundance – ‘ I choose to use my time to do this’
- Make a note of the different areas in your life which you feel need to give attention to.
- Look at the list and put a big heart next to those areas which you love spending time doing.
- For the moment put to one side those areas that you do out of obligation.
- Make a note of the activities that you do each day – for example each morning I do some yoga for 20 minutes and that is followed by 20 minutes of meditation. Then I will do 20 minutes (ish) of watching YouTube videos on something I wish to know more about while I eat my breakfast
- Set a timer for how long you will be on the phone or social media, which is one of the biggest time stealers that there is.
- Make an honest appraisal of how much tv you watch everyday that is for ‘entertainment purposes’ this includes the news.
- Make a note of how much time you spend catering to others needs. This includes, running errands, volunteering on committees, doing housework and making meals. Giving advice and helping sort out problems. Is helping others dominating your time?
- Make a note of when you are most productive in the day
- Group similar tasks together and designate a set time to do them in one chunk rather than in dribs and drabs throughout the week.
- Make a list of errands that need to be run or appointments and try to group them together so you do one trip rather than several.
- Decide how you would love to spend your time.
- Experiment with blocking out time to do the things you love. I get up at 5am to work on my business before I go off to my regular job, as this is the time that I am at my most productive and the least likely to be disturbed or have appointments scheduled.
If like me you had a to-do list that was longer at the end of the day than it was at the beginning you will love the book ‘To-Do List Formula: A Stress-Free Guide To Creating To-Do Lists That Work’by Damon Zahariades who has some great productivity tools. You can buy his book from Amazon at: https://coachingtoconfidence.com/Lists
You may be wondering about the title for my blog. Well there are a few reasons:
- You will find it easier to achieve YOUR goals, changes in lifestyle and dreams when you get past the sense of overwhelm that faces you, the minute you try to even chrome://newtab/think of beginning a new project.
- I am a person who, when faced with a big project / goal / dream, feels overwhelmed at the beginning, so I always start out by looking for ways to put the steps I need to take into a list. I am a self confessed list-a-holic!
- I thought that everybody had the ability to break down complex tasks into simplified steps, but it turns out that I was wrong. Where I see a logical step, some people see only confusion. Imagine my delight at finding a hidden talent – list making!
- I also had a coaching practice in England, and while in the courses that I taught, people would often come to the realization that they had a goal they wished to pursue, only a few were brave enough to take a leap into to unknown, once they had come to that realization. Most people wanted to build up their confidence slowly first, often in unrelated areas of their lives before – and this is important to note – they saw themselves as the type of person who is successful at achieving …… (insert goal here).
- I have achieved some major goals in my life but it was not until recently that I realized that I had unconsciously followed the same checklist of steps to achieve them. You can read more about them in my book https://coachingtoconfidence.com/achieveyourgoals but this blog consists in a series of challenges that you can use to gain the confidence to change your life and follow your dreams
Are you ready? Lets go:
Each week, beginning on a Sunday, I will produce a list, the goal of which will either challenge you and shake you out of your comfort zone or prompt you to start questioning the things that you do in life. Could you do things a different way? Could you eliminate certain things that prevent you from achieving more of what you want in life?
The aim is to enrich your life, simplify it (so you have time to pursue other goals) or change it (perhaps in an awesome, mind-blowing way – who knew you loved to run mountain trails naked at midnight! Or just in a way which gradually increases your confidence and reveals your personal likes and dislikes. If this list does not speak to you, either move on to another of the lists or repeat one that you loved. The lists are in no particular order and the project is meant to be fun, to open up your world to different possibilities in life. I will follow the lists also to get me out of my comfort zone and ready to tackle some new goals of my own. I will put my comments below as to how I got on and I hope you will do the same. One of the great things about being an online community is the encouragement you can get from other people, whose only motivation is to see you succeed. As the great Zig Ziglar said ‘You can get anything you want, as long as you help others get what they want’.
May your successes all be great ones.