Living in the Now, is one of the most powerful tools for living your best life. The drive to be constantly doing something, makes us distracted and so focused on the daily grind, that we have little time for relation, creativity or self-development.
So here is my list for this week. Living in the Now:
- Let go of the past. Create a new identity by releasing the pain and self-limiting thoughts of the past and taking things one day at a time.
- Don’t get too wrapped up in the future. Don’t be so busy chasing your future dreams that you overlook the joys of the present. Some of us (I am guilty of this!) spend so much time chasing after the future that we want – such as money for the down payment our our dream house, that we fail to live in the Now, so we keep that job that we dislike and work longer and longer hours. Then we get frustrated because life isn’t joyful.
- Practice Mindfulness. Become more aware of all that is around you – the weather, the thoughts in your mind, the breeze on your face. This practice helps to guide you back to the present moment and takes your mind of dwelling in the past and the future.
- Give up the myths of multi-tasking. Concentrate on really listening to conversations with others or cooking the dinner – I know if I try to multi-task while cooking, my food never tastes as good without other distractions around you.
- Set your intention for the day and for all the actions that you wish to achieve. This practice can help us focus on our long term goals in a way which allows us to live in the present. If my intention for the day is not to get overwhelmed by doing too much, I make sure my to-do list reflects that intention.
- Stop watching the clock all the time. Allow some time in the day just to potter and enjoy life- to take a walk, pet the dog or water the plants. Step off the hamster wheel for a short while at least. If I get to the point of being overwhelmed, I practice meditation and ask the Universe to show me my next step.
- Go with the flow. Don’t try to control life so tightly. Try living life moment to moment. Get curious about what happens when you relax control and let go of the stress of trying to hold everything together. Movies and books are full of stories in which a stressed, uptight executive with a high powered job is forced to surrender to the flow of life and then finds a different more fulfilling way of life.
- Practice stepping away from all media – cell phones, emails, computers and video games for a period of time and just allow yourself to be.
What does your Now look like right at this moment in time?